Tuesday, March 8, 2011

To Grunt or Not to Grunt

Going to the gym these past few weeks has brought a couple things to my attention. One being that I'm out of shape but that's not the point of this post.

The main thing I've noticed is that other than the constant whining of the machines, or slamming of the weight plates, it's actually pretty quiet at the gym.

Back in the day, aka 5 years ago, there use to be a sound that people would make on occasion, a grunting if you will. What ever happened to the grunting, yelling, and swearing at the gym.

I'm not saying I miss it completely but where did it go? I know that some gyms have a no grunting policy. Planet Fitness for one example.

But why is grunting so bad. Sometimes you need a good yell. In my mind, a person who screams or lets out a yell at the gym is only expressing himself. Hell if I put up 300lbs on the bench press I'm going to want to yell to. What else am I suppose to do, just let out an awe-inspiring golf clap or a ballerina fist pump.

Let's face it, grunting comes natural. You earned the body you worked hard for so why not express it the way you want. Some people reward themselves with more cardio, personally I'd rather end it with a high five. (Still in mind, there is nothing better than a hard connecting high five.)

So I say put up that weight, run your carbs off and grunt away. As I told one of my friends, "You earned that sh*t, grunt away!"

No comments:

Post a Comment