Thursday, September 8, 2011

Finally ready for some football

Well it's that time of year again. The taste of pumpkin spiced beer, the smell of fried tailgate food, and of course the sound of upset fans. Football season is finally among us. After a grueling off season of lockouts and unpredictable contracts, Thursday night will kickoff the 2011-2012 season.

For me, that means I've already drooled over stats, stressed about my fantasy drafts, and broke the news to my fiance that I'll be preoccupied for the next 17+ Sundays. (Sorry Liane)

Last year, I started making weekly picks to test my football knowledge. Interestingly enough, I did just as well as the NFL experts on ESPN. This year will consist of trying to destroy last year's record, so without further adieu, I think I'm ready for some football.

NO @ GB -- GB for the win! While I like the Saints to make the playoffs this year, I have to Green Bay in this one. Not only did their team win the Super Bowl last year, but they didn't change much roster wise. I'll take the Packer for two reasons: The high of being last year's champs and home field advantage in Lambeau.

ATL @ CHI -- ATL for the win! I know there's a lot of talk about Da Bears doing well this season, behind Cutler and Forte, but without a strong receiving core, I feel like they're missing a key part to penetrating a defense (That's what she said). Plus, with Matt Heisman coming off a huge season statistically, the Falcons could be in the running for first place season.

IND @ HOU -- HOU for the win! Without Peyton, I find it hard to believe that Kerry Collins is going to be able to put up the points to beat the Texans, who should be at least three touchdowns in by half time.

BUF @ KC -- KC for the win! With Cassell okay'd to play, the Chiefs should start off on the right foot. Meanwhile, the Bills only won 4 games last year and their team didn't get any better.

TEN @ JAC -- TEN for the win! Do I like the Titans in this one? Not really, but I do like them slightly better than the Jags, simply because the Jags just dropped their starting quarterback. Here we go Hasselbeck, do what Vinny Young couldn't!

CIN @ CLE -- CLE for the win! For some odd reason, I really love Cleveland to win, third place in their division. Sorry, but there's no way that Baltimore and Pittsburgh are going anywhere, anytime soon. Both have franchise quarterbacks and solid defenses. However, Cleveland is better than a sinking Cincinnati. Sucky Bengals.

PHI @ STL -- PHI for the win! Do I really have to explain myself. The Eagles took a page out of the Yankees playbook. Sign as many great players as possible. Too bad they'll probably end up like the Heat.

PIT @ BAL -- PIT for the win! As much as I like Baltimore, I can't shy away from picking Pittsburgh in this. It may have something to do with Big Ben being on my fantasy team. Actually, I'm playing the went to the Super Bowl and haven't changed out roster at all card. Pretty much like my Packers pick.

DET @ TB -- DET for the win! Josh Freeman was last years miracle story. This year it belongs to a healthy Matthew Stafford.

MIN @ SD -- SD for the win! I know the Chargers were upset pretty big last year against Oakland, but this isn't Oakland. This is a broken down and sort of build back up Minnesota team. I'm not sure McNabb can get it done without an arsenal to throw to. Their going to need a little more than the legs of AP to put points on the board.

NYG @ WAS -- WAS for the win! I just think Washington will pull off an upset here. No rhyme or reason, that's just the way I feel. It would be funny to see it happen.

CAR @ ARI -- CAR for the win! I'm already on board the Cam Newton train. Let's see where it takes me!

SEA @ SF -- SEA for the win! Couldn't care less about this game so I'll stand behind Pete Carol and his Neon Green Gang.

DAL @ NYJ -- NYJ for the win! As much as it hurts me to pick the Jets, I think it's pretty obvious who the better team is between these two. The Jets have been to the AFC championship two years in a row and their team didn't get any worse. Meanwhile, I just don't trust Romo and company. It might be the whole wearing a hat backwards thing.

NE @ MIA -- NE for the win! Do I even have to explain myself on this one. Tom Brady... or Chad Henne? Come on. Plus I'm a Patriots fan, so how do I not pick them week one.

OAK @ DEN -- DEN for the win! All this game is, is a sobering up game from the real Monday Night Football game. I'll be fast asleep before this game even kicks off. I'll take Denver for the hell of it.

Well that's my week one picks. Hopefully your team fairs well. I know mine will.

No comments:

Post a Comment