Tuesday, December 6, 2011

The 12 Movies of Christmas

It’s not really beginning to look a lot like Christmas. That may be the case outside with the lack of snow but within my apartment, there’s plenty of Christmas cheer. More than enough to put Chevy Chase to shame. One of my favorite parts of the holidays isn’t just the presents or seeing family, but also the excuse to watch all of my favorite Christmas movies. There always seems to be a debate about the best Christmas movies. Many people watch the classics, but some are often forgotten because Christmas isn’t really the main focus. Well some of my top 12 might not be centered around Jolly Ole Saint Nick but they definitely involve the holiday spirit. Enjoy!

12. How the Grinch Stole Christmas


For the record, if you have to ask if I’m talking about the classic Grinch or the Jim Carrey monstrosity, then you need a life lesson in Christmas movies. The original Grinch is a great story and obviously because of the list, one of my favorites. It has a great mix of character interaction and narration, as if someone is actually reading a story to you.

11. A Christmas Story

From the leg lamp to the bunny suit to the Red Ryder BB Gun, none of those scenes is more memorable than the “Ohhhhh fuuuuuuuuudge. Except I didn’t say fudge.”  The best apart about this movie, is it’s played for 24 hours straight on Christmas. So sometime between that second glass of egg nog and that discussion over horrible Christmas sweaters, pull up a chair and watch the boy shoot his eye out.

10. Santa Claus 2


While Tim Allen isn’t one of my favorite actors, his digital counterpart is hysterical. The second Santa in this movie has all the great lines, best facial expressions, and funniest scenes. A must see if you like to see Tim Allen make fun of himself.

9. Trading Places


 
This is the first of my not so typical Christmas movie picks. Yes, it’s more of a movie about deception and greed but it does take place during Christmas. The fact that Dan Aykroyd didn’t puke after eating half that Santa beard is a Christmas Miracle in itself.

8. Emmet Otter’s Jug Band Christmas

Of course I have to throw a Muppet Christmas movie in the mix. This one in particular because of the hard work and creativity that went into making this film. Jim Henson was a genius when it came to this kind of movie. Plus the outtakes are probably one of the funniest outtakes I’ve ever seen from any movie…. ever.

7. Rocky IV

Go ahead, say what you will. Rocky ended the Cold War on Christmas. That is a Christmas miracle. Nuff said.

6. Claymation Movies

Because I can’t decide which one I love more (Rudolph the Rednose Reindeer or Santa Claus is Coming to Town) I’ve decided to group them together. I usually watch them within 24 hours anyway so it’s a safe rank. These movies were not only way ahead of their time but they’re also fun to watch now-a-days because the crazy mess ups that go on make the movies creepy and funny at the same time.

5. National Lampoons Christmas Vacation


What father doesn’t strive to be the next Clark Griswold minus the electrocution. This movie is one of the many reasons that neighbors compete with one another. It’s also the reason that many put the cat in the guest room while other’s decorate the tree. This movie has crazy families, slapstick humor, and non-stop inflicting pain. It has all the fixings for a Christmas celebration.

4. Jingle All the Way

ONE OF THE MOST UNDERRATED CHRISTMAS MOVIES OFF ALL TIME! This movie doesn’t stop hitting you with comedy. Not only can you not understand a word that Arnold Schwarzenegger is saying but Sinbad just makes fun of him the entire time. The movie focuses on what parents go through on the holiday’s to get their kids the perfect gift. However, I don’t think any parent ever fought a mailman dressed in an evil villain costume while attached to a jetpack.

3. Nightmare Before Christmas

This movie may be found somewhere towards the bottom of someone’s list rather than in the top three but it’s one of my favorite Christmas movies from childhood. My mom and I use to watch this movie ever December since it came out in theaters. Others might find this movie creepy but come on… it’s about a skeleton that finds out the true meaning of Christmas. Two opposite holidays combining into one to make you believe that anyone can feel the true magic that Christmas rubs off on some people.

2. Elf


The best part about the movie Elf, is that I can watch this movie in June if I want too. This movie never seizes to amaze me. I’m always laughing. Not only am I laughing but there are parts that make my side hurt, even after watching it three or four times. This is the kind of movie that should be on 24 hours on Christmas. I’d probably watch it five or six times throughout that one day alone.

1. Die Hard


One of the greatest action movies of all time just happens to take place on….. Christmas Eve! It’s got parties, presents, decorations, guns, bombs, Carl Winslow, and Bruce Willis. What more could you ask in a Christmas movie. We’re only a week into December and I’ve already watched this movie twice. That leaves me plenty of time to watch it a half dozen more times before Santa makes his way down the chimney.

Yippee-ki-yay, Motha F*cka!

No comments:

Post a Comment