Friday, October 28, 2011

Once a Bengal, Now a Raider. Next Stop, He'll Retire!

It's been years since I've been obsessed with numbers in sports. From batting averages to YACs (yards after catch), I just love comparing and studying any and all statistics. However, for the last year and half that I've been making my NFL picks and my final calls have basically been centered around comparing statistics between the two opponents. Granted, I've gone 190-122 in that span, a winning percentage of 61%. That record might not look too impressive but to put it in football terms, there's only 14 coaches in NFL history as of 2008, with a better winning percentage.

This year has been a little more difficult when it comes to making picks. While I haven't had a losing week so far, I'm feeling the need to switch my reasons up a bit, especially after just barely crossing over the .500 line the past three weeks. So this week will look a little different. I'll be skipping the records, statistics, and rankings and shooting from the hip and heart instead. Here's hoping...

ARI @ BAL - BAL. Another battle of the birds. Let's face it, Baltimore played last week as if they were the Arizona Cardinals. I don't expect another fluke out of the Ravens, especially against a "Suck for Luck" team like the Cardinals.

MIN @ CAR - CAR. I'm all about the Cam Newton train. I've been saying it all year. However, there is something left to Ponder about the Vikings in this one. Of course, I'm talking about their young gun behind center. Unfortunately, Ponder hasn't been able to hook up with anyone but Michael Jenkins. Lucky for Minnesota, Carolina has an experienced secondary and even worse defensive line. I'm not expecting this one to be one sided, but it's definitely going to be high scoring.

JAC @ HOU - HOU. As of Friday afternoon, there was still the possibility of Andre Johnson being able to play. Frankly, I don't think Houston even needs Johnson to win this game. Arian Foster should be enough for them to win this Sunday.
 
MIA @ NYG - NYG. Eventually Miami needs to get their act together, but this week won't be one of them. It's going to be cold and New York this weekend and last time I checked, dolphins hate the cold weather.

NO @ STL - NO. It's been a long time since we've considered St. Louis the Greatest Show on Turf. But don't worry sports fans, there will still be a great show to watch on Sunday. I can't wait to see what New Orleans does to St. Louis after last week's Indy embarrassment.

IND @ TEN - TEN. The Colts are doing a great job in their "Suck for Luck" campaign. This weekend will be another great week to boost their lead in the polls.

WAS @ BUF - BUF. This game actually took me a while to make a decision on. I think I prefer Buffalo at home with the crowd behind them then John Beck with no Hightower or Santana Moss.

DET @ DEN - DET. As much, as much, as much as I WANT to choose Denver, this team almost lost to Miami last week. Tebow or now Tebow, Detroit isn't going to give away the game like the Dolphins did. Detroit had a tough game against Atlanta last week and struggling offense. This could be the game Detroit needs to turn their game around.

NE @ PIT - NE. I said I was shooting from the heart this week. LET'S GO PATS!!!

CIN @ SEA - CIN. Whitehurst or Dalton? Just for S's & G's, let's go Bengals!

CLE @ SF - SF. I love the roll that San Francisco is on, and I'm hoping it continues.

DAL @ PHI - DAL. Dallas has been playing so well lately even though they lost to the Patriots and steamrolled through a sad St. Louis team. Fortunately for the Cowboys, the Eagles have been on a bad luck streak recently.

SD @ KC - SD. I honestly feel that this one was a no-brainer. Kansas City hasn't done anything against a decent team besides Oakland last week, but can we even count that considering Oakland pretty much handed them the ball on defense? San Diego should have no problem taking care of business on Monday night.


***Lastly, I'd like to wish anyone who reads this a happy Sunday of watching football. My fiance's birthday is on Sunday, so it's safe to say I won't be watching much football. I'm okay with that considering my fantasy teams are set, my picks are now in, and the Patriots promised to win.***

No comments:

Post a Comment